Many place names within the jurisdiction of Wugang are very interesting. Through these place names, we can understand the past and present life of Wugang. Based on historical records, the author sorted out the origin of some place names in Wugang, and used these places to help readers interpret the Steel City.
(Photography: Nanke)
?Pu?
There is only one place named after "Pu" in Wugang area, Lilinpu Village, Zaolin Town. The origin of Lilinpu is directly related to "pu".
In the long history, how the central government transmits information and communicates with local governments has been a vital event. The establishment of post, station, and shop is to solve this major event. The functions of post, station, and shop have different focuses. The post is larger in scale and focuses on reception, accommodation, and cargo transfer; the station focuses on transmitting military information, and is generally operated by the military. The competent departments are in charge of their use; the shops have the most facilities and are mainly used to deliver official government documents and private letters.
According to local historical records, in the sixth year of Longqing in the Ming Dynasty (1572), three shops, namely Lilinpu, Shangdian and Jieguanting, were built and completed in the autumn of 1573.
These are the only three shops in Wugang area today. When the Shimantan Reservoir was built in 1951, the Jieguan Hall was flooded and no longer exists. The remaining Lilinpu and Shangdian buildings are at least 445 years old, according to current data.
In the old system, a post station was set up at thirty miles and a shop was set up at ten miles. In ancient times, Wugang was located in a remote place. There were no post or stations, and only pavilions were set up according to needs. The function and scale of pavilions were larger than those of conventional pavilions, but smaller than those of post stations. This can be seen from the geographical location of the three pavilions. A spot. Going south from Wuyang City, it is about 9 kilometers from Lilinpu, 10 kilometers from Lilinpu to Jieguanting, and 8 kilometers from Jieguanting to Shangdian.
(Photography? Nanke)
? Store?
In Wugang, there are a total of 6 places named after "stores". There are 6 places from north to south: Sanlitian, Lüdian, Tangdidian, Zhulandian, Shangdian and Wangdian. Lüdian Village is the only way from Wuyang to Xiping in the southeast. I won’t go into details here. We will pass through the other 5 villages. The geographical location of the "store" can interpret a lot of information.
In ancient times, "stores" were mostly large car shops, located near traffic thoroughfares and providing simple food and lodging for passers-by.
Since the Yuan Dynasty, most of Wugang and Wuyang are now under the jurisdiction of Nanyang Prefecture. Going south from Wuyang City, it passes through Sanlidian, Tangdidian, Zhulandian, Shangdian, and Wangdian. By connecting the above places, the official road from Wuyang to Nanyang Prefecture in ancient times clearly emerges, and all the villages named after "dian" , are all close to the official road, and there are no villages named after "stores" outside the official road.
Exit Wangdian and go south, pass Xiaoshidian, and go straight to Nanyang Mansion.
The origins of these villages and towns named after "stores" are recorded in local chronicles.
Wangdian. In the early Ming Dynasty, Wang De of Hongdong County, Shanxi Province opened a restaurant here and named it Wangdian, also known as Wangjiadian. Later, it was called Wangdian for short and has been used to this day.
Shangdian. In ancient times, a family named Shang opened a shop here, so it was called Shangdian.
Zhulan store. In the early Qing Dynasty, the four surnames Liu, Li, Zhang and Zhao moved from Hongdong County, Shanxi Province, and opened a restaurant at the intersection of Guan Road. There was a large area of ??blue bamboo next to the restaurant, so they named it Zhulan Store, and later it was also called Zhulan Store. To this day, in Zhulan and Liu Zhanyuan areas, only the four surnames Liu, Li, Zhang and Zhao are settled households, and all the old residents with the same surname belong to the same family.
Tangdi store. Also known as Tangli Store and Tangli Store, it is close to Zhulan, but no relevant records have been found.
Sanli store. It is 3 miles away from Wuyang City and close to the official road. The village was built in the late Ming Dynasty and someone opened a shop here, so it was named Sanlidian.
After marking the above villages on the map (see the picture below, shops and shops in Wugang), we can conclude that from Wuyang through Zhulan, through Dashimen and Jieguanting, south We arrived at Shangdian and Wangdian. This road is an ancient road with a long history, and apart from that, there are no other traffic arteries in the Wugang area. All villages named after stores in Wugang are concentrated in This official road is around.
With the passage of time, the ancient roads have long been lost in history, and only these place names still silently tell the vicissitudes of history.
(Also: There is a village in the north of Zhangbuzhuang, Zaolin Town, called Canglidian, which is also on this ancient road. In August 1975, the village was washed away by floods and later moved southward with the Zhangbuzhuang was merged, and the original village name was abandoned)
(Shops and shops in Wugang)
? Street?
A place named after a street. , in ancient times, most of them were market towns and were the nearby economic centers. Within Wugang, Ying Street and Temple Street were named after "streets".
Camp Street. In the early Ming Dynasty, the surname Yin from Hongdong County, Shanxi Province moved here and was named Yinjiaying. In the Qing Dynasty, it was shortened to Yinying. Around 1913, a market town gradually formed here, which was called Yinying Street, and later simply called Ying Street. Ying Street back then had a very good history. During the Republic of China, Datong Township and Yinying Township were established in Wugang District. The township offices at that time were all located in Ying Street. Even today, when we walk into Yingjie Village, we can still see traces of history.
Temple Street. Temple Street is located in a remote area, but in ancient times, Hongyang County was established within the current jurisdiction of Temple Street. During the Han Dynasty, Hongyang Marquis was granted a title here. In the early years, there was a temple of King Shun in the village, so it was called Shi Niulang Temple. In the late Qing Dynasty, it gradually became a market and was later called Temple Street.
? Jiji ?
Compared with the ancient "streets", the scale of Jiji is slightly smaller. Within the jurisdiction of Wugang, there are four places named "Ji", all of which have clear historical records.
Xinji. In the early Ming Dynasty, a family with the surname Bai moved in from Hongdong County, Shanxi Province. Later, a market gradually opened and was named Baiji. In the seventeenth year of Qianlong's reign in the Qing Dynasty (1752), Baiji was flooded and the Bai family moved away. After the flood receded, it gradually gathered into a market. The local people named it Xinji, and later Xinji. Xinji was very famous at that time, and its industry and commerce were extremely developed. In 1939, Xinya Cigarette Factory was established, and then Mingtai, Zhenxing and other cigarette factories were gradually built, and there was also a cinema. After the founding of the People's Republic of China, with the adjustment of zoning, Xinji gradually faded out of people's sight. But here, just like Ying Street, you can see buildings everywhere that are obviously different from ordinary villages. A few days ago, I was chatting with a friend who collected a wine glass. On the base of the brass wine glass were clearly engraved four words, "Xinya Tobacco Factory". At that moment, I seemed to have seen Xinji's past.
Cao Ji. The village was built in the early Ming Dynasty, and the surname Cao lived here. There was also a market, which was called Caoji.
Yin Ji. In the early Ming Dynasty, three households with the Yin surname moved to Hongdong County, Shaanxi Province, and later formed a market named Yin Ji.
Eight stations. Before Xianfeng of the Qing Dynasty, the place name Batai did not exist. At that time, it was called Chenjiaji. Because there were many people with the surname Chen and there was a market, it was called Chenjiaji.
After we mark the six places of Ying Street, Temple Street, Xinji, Caoji, Yinji and Batai on the map, we can also find some patterns.
These streets and markets are all far away from Wuyang City, and except for Yinji Street and Temple Street, which are close to mountainous areas, the rest are located in plain areas. On the contrary, there are no places named after "Ji" or "Street" in the southern, southwest and western mountainous areas of Wugang.
We can infer from this that for a long time, the Wugang area was sparsely populated, and the only population was mainly distributed in the plains of Batai and Zaolin. This can be supported by the population records of the jurisdiction. The earliest record of the local population of Wuyang (Wugang) in historical data began in the 24th year of Hongwu in the Ming Dynasty (1391). At that time, the entire Wuyang area had a total of 2,308 households and a population of 16,377 people, and they were mainly concentrated in the northern part of the Wuyang area. In the plain area, the population in Wugang is very small as you can imagine. Except for the residential areas near the official road from Wuyang to Nanyang as mentioned above, there are few villages. More than two hundred years later, in the 14th year of Chongzhen in the Ming Dynasty (1641), the Wugang area now has 8,778 households and 15,967 people, which is not as large as a township today.
(Jieheji in Wugang)
? Medical Preparation Office?
Even now, many elderly people are still used to visiting the street in Zhulan. The People's Hospital is called the Medical Preparatory Office. Many people are confused about this name. Some people think it is the "Medical Preparatory Office", where doctors "see" patients. In fact, the name of the Medical Preparatory Office comes from the Battle of Pingwu Project.
In April 1972, preparations were made to build the People's Hospital of Pingwugong District. In October of that year, the People's Hospital Preparatory Office of the Municipal Construction Department of Pingwugong District, referred to as the "Medical Preparatory Office", was located in Zhulan. For a long time, people have been accustomed to calling the People's Hospital the Medical Preparatory Office. In 1973, the Henan Workers' Sanatorium (the "May 7th" Cadre School Health Company in Luoshan, Henan Province) was transferred to the Municipal Construction Department of Pingwu Work District for management. The Cadre School Health Company soon moved in. At that time, there were 257 employees. Later, on the basis of the health company, the Municipal People's Hospital was built.
This is the earliest origin of People's Hospital.
? Mine construction ?
Mine construction, also known as building, has a great reputation around Batai. It was called the building because there were several buildings here at that time, hence the name. But why it is called Mining Construction, many people do not understand. The origin of this name is also related to the Pingwu Engineering Battle.
In August 1971, in order to support the construction of the Pingwu Project, with the approval of the Ministry of Metallurgy, the Second Qinling Mining and Construction Company was transferred to the Pingwu Project site. Soon, more than 1,500 employees of the Second Qinling Mining and Construction Company came to the Pingwu Project. Go to the unfamiliar land of Wugang and undertake the construction of the Batai Mining Area. Later, its residence was called Minjian, which is still the name today.
This is the origin of mine construction.
(Photography: Nanke)
This article is compiled by the author based on some historical data.
The main information comes from "Wugang City Chronicles" and "Wuyang County Chronicles".
The picture is taken from Baidu Map.
About the author:
Zhang Liwei is a steel dancer from Henan Province. I have a wide range of hobbies and like to write something. His micro-film works include "Shangdian Jar Dumplings", "Dancing Hot Tofu", "Group Leaders' Blind Date", "Dahua Nigou Chen", etc.