Perspectives

Compilation?

Compiler? Yuko Yang

Edited by? |?Jane

Source? |?Automotive?News

Produced by? Help Ning Studio (gbngzs)

Some are expanding the scope of shuttered plants, some are launching incentive programs that may have far-reaching consequences, and some are producing medical equipment, including ventilators, at the request of local governments - global automakers are taking steps to deal with the new crown outbreak.

01.

British government asks firms to build ventilators

The British government has asked local carmakers to start making medical equipment, including ventilators, in response to a request from the local government from companies including Ford, Jaguar Land Rover and Honda Motor.

On March 16, 2020, Jaguar Land Rover confirmed that it was in talks with the government, which wants Jaguar Land Rover to help with the production of ventilators. "As a British company we will of course do everything we can to support the country at this critical time." A Jaguar Land Rover spokesman said.

Ford responded by saying the company was assessing the situation. Ford operates two engine plants in the U.K. with 2019 production of nearly 1.1 million units. However, the plant in Bridgend, Wales, will close this year.

Honda Motor said it has been asked by the government to explore the feasibility of making respirators. Honda's U.K. plant in Swindon produced nearly 110,000 vehicles last year.

In addition, Vauxhall and Rolls-Royce, both part of the PSA group, have also been asked to potentially help.

It is not clear what a carmaker would need to do if it were to move into producing specialized medical equipment, such as what international components would be needed and what certification requirements it would need to meet.

One option is to adopt the Defense Industry Rule. Under this rule, the government could order certain factories to produce the required products quickly and as designed. British industry is capable of doing this, although they may not be able to produce the electronic components needed.

Robert?Harrison, a professor in the field of automated systems at the University of Warwick in Britain, said making the respirators would be a major task for engineering firms and could take months. "They will have to assemble production lines, train workers and test the product." He said.

Sourcing parts such as electronic fittings, valves and air turbines on very short notice would be difficult. Ventilators are very delicate pieces of equipment, Harrison said, adding, "These devices are designed to keep patients alive, and it's critical that it works properly - after all, it's a vital piece of equipment that's a matter of life and death."

There are many countries clamoring for ventilators. Ventilators can be used to keep people with the new coronavirus alive when they have trouble breathing.

To date, Britain has reported 1,372 confirmed cases and 35 deaths from New Crown Pneumonia. But the measures taken in Britain differ from those in other European countries, which have tried to slow the spread of the new crown outbreak through strict lockdown measures.

A spokeswoman for British Prime Minister Boris?Johnson's Downing Street office said the prime minister would seek support from manufacturers to produce essential medical equipment for the National?Health?Service.

The spokesman said the prime minister would emphasize the important role of these manufacturers in preventing the country's response to the widespread spread of the new crown epidemic, and called on them to support and join the fight against it.

02.

GM Launches 'We've Been There' Incentive Program

GM is launching a broad incentive program.

The program is reminiscent of the "Keep?America?Rolling" public relations campaign that GM launched nearly 20 years ago to boost sales after the 9/11 attacks. Rolling" public relations campaign to boost sales after the 9/11 attacks.

The program was extensive and designed to keep Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac owners safe and connected at all times, thereby minimizing the economic impact of the new crown outbreak.

GM spokesman Jim?Cain said the company will offer zero percent interest, 84-month loans and deferred payments for up to 120 days to customers with the highest credit ratings.

GM is also offering current owners free OnStar crisis assistance to help them find medical care or meet other needs. Customers are also provided with 3G data to keep them connected at all times while in the car.

The program goes into effect on March 17, 2020. GM will "prove to customers that we've been there all along." In addition, the financing policy could serve to revitalize people's passions.

Mike Bowsher, owner of Carl Black Automotive Group, said GM's digital retail tool, browse-and-click-and-drive, offers dealers optional home delivery.Carl Black Automotive Group has stores in Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. all have stores.

Vehicle delivery is already available at most dealerships, and demand for this type of service is expected to grow.

Bowsher said the dealerships will also make service visits to customers when the time comes.

Bowsher, who is also chairman of the Chevrolet National Dealer Council, likened GM's efforts to the 2001 "Make America Turn" campaign -- a campaign that made GM strong.

2001

In 2001, after the terrorist attacks on the U.S., GM launched a campaign aimed at preventing economic collapse. An incentive program was introduced that was both simple and effective: zero-financing deals were offered on all products. Other automakers followed GM's lead, and the auto industry later regained momentum.

A few years later, GM was criticized for the program. Some critics said it became the starting point for an industry-wide strategy to win sales through a plethora of costly incentives. However, financing subsidies for the automaker's latest program have tightened, with interest-free loans and extended programs available only to customers with good credit.

"They're working around the clock." Bowsher said GM and the dealers understand that they both have to give it their all.

03.

Toyota suspends production in France, Portugal and the Philippines

Toyota suspended production in France, Portugal and the Philippines. This new shutdown affects production of models such as the Yaris and Land Cruiser, but will not affect models exported to the United States.

Toyota said March 17 that it would suspend all three-shift production at its French plants from March 18 through March 31, covering models including the Yaris and its hybrid.

The Portuguese plant, which stopped production on March 16, is expected to be closed for two weeks. It mainly produces the older-generation Toyota Land Cruiser 70?SUV.

Meanwhile, the Philippine plant was shut down from March 17 until sometime in mid-April. The plant makes the Yaris sedan version of the Vios, as well as the Innova compact MPV.

Toyota said it is suspending production at its plants in those countries in response to government guidelines aimed at slowing the spread of the new crown outbreak.

And in China, its Tianjin plant will continue to operate a single shift. FAW Toyota normally operates a double-shift system, producing sedans such as the Corolla and Asian Dragon. Toyota has resumed normal production at three other plants in China, and its plant in Japan is also operating normally.

In contrast, Honda and Nissan are slowing production at some of their Japanese lines to adjust for supply chain problems. Neither company would give specifics on the vehicles or plants affected or how much production would be cut. Subaru and Mitsubishi Motors have seen no major disruptions at their Japanese plants.

This article comes from the authors of AutoNation, and does not represent the views of AutoNation's position.